As a parent, it is hard to find a day as exciting and fulfilling as the baptism of one of our precious children. On Saturday, April 30, 2011, Eric Wersen Devenport became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was fun to see how excited Eric was about this special day. Eric turned 8 on March 12, but we decided to wait until the end of April for him to be baptized so that Grandma and Grandpa Boyack could attend. Grandma and Grandpa just returned from their mission to England on April 23rd. The whole week before his baptism, Eric would just keep counting down the days and talking about it. I am so glad that he was so excited.
I knew this day was going to be a busy day, but at least we were done with soccer games and we did not need to add that to our list of things to do. The kids helped us out a bunch on Saturday. We were getting the yard cleaned up, prepping the food we were going to have for dinner, making sure the house was clean, and trying to remember everything that we needed to bring to the baptism. I also needed to register some kids for soccer next season and for swim lessons this summer.
I was particularly excited for this baptism because our Stake was trying out a new format for the baptisms and I was hoping that everything would go well. We all met together in the chapel for the beginning of the meeting. Then, we exited the chapel and went to have each child baptized by ward. Eric was the last child to be baptized, so when we went to the baptismal room, we stayed there for the rest of the meeting. We had so many wonderful family members, friends, and primary leaders in attendance. I know that Eric felt special.
Our family sang a little song, "If I Listen With My Heart." Actually, just Mom, Dad, and Eric sang this one, with Reagan standing up front scowling at the audience. We tried to get our whole family to sing the song, but we had a few boys who really did not want to participate, so we did not force the issue. When we were practicing before the meeting, Jake and I were getting quite upset that Corey and Jared were so unwilling to sing. I guess that I kind of sprung it on them. Live and learn.
I then gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. I used two soda cans, one full and one empty to show how when we have the Spirit, we are stronger and can resist temptation more easily. I kept the talk very brief. The attention of an eight year old is really not that long.
Jake told me later on that he felt a distinct difference in Eric after the gift of the Holy Ghost was given to him. Eric seemed very calm and attentive. In the blessing, I remember Jake telling Eric to be quiet and still so that he could hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I think this is true for all of us. I notice that when I do not really give myself some of those quiet moment, it is very hard to hear the promptings of the spirit. Life is so crazy and my house is very full of noise, so finding these quiet moments can be a challenge, yet it is very necessary.
After the meeting we took some pictures and then we had family and a few friends over to our house to have dinner together. We had easy sandwiches, chips, fruit, and brownies. I thought all of the kids we had here were really well behaved. We had over 30 people in our little house, but it was really nice to visit and to have that time together after the baptism.
We asked Eric how he felt after he was baptized and he told us that he felt "warm and good." The trick is to remember that feeling and to seek to always choose the right so that we can continue to have that feeling throughout our lives.
I love Eric and I am so happy that he made this choice. He is indeed a very special boy who brings a lot of love and light and laughter to our home.
| Before the baptism - notice the ear tuck |
| All dressed in white |
| Jake has a picture like this with his dad that we always try to imitate - too cute! |
| Sharp boys |
| The whole family - not all happy, but all there |
| Before the baptism - scooters are so cool |
| Look at that poser! She did not want to wear this dress because it is blue, but doesn't she look cute. |
No comments:
Post a Comment