Monday, November 21, 2011

General Conference Challenge

Well, I am going to try to be better at posting.  My goal is to post everyday.  I may just post a couple of lines, but I am going to try to keep more up to date and put down those thoughts that I want to keep a record of.  So for a while I will be writing about some things in the past, since I was such a bad record keeper for so long.

Back at General Conference time, we came up with kind of a cool plan – at least I think so.  We missed listening to the Saturday sessions (except the boys did go to priesthood) due to a load of soccer games.  Since I have 2 boys that play competitive ball and we choose to miss all of the Sunday tournament games, I really feel like we have to go to everything else that we possibly can.  We had a great time listening to conference on Sunday and the kids did a really good job.  I was not going to print a packet out for them this year, but the younger kids wanted that packet to help them pay attention to conference.  After the last session on Sunday, I came up with a plan to help my older children get more out of conference.  I challenged Corey, Jared, and Eric to listen to the Saturday messages within 2 weeks.  If they did this, I promised that we would go out for a special treat or something like that.  Jared and Eric accomplished this goal.  Actually, Eric took this very seriously and he listened to all 5 sessions of conference, even though he had already listened to the 2 on Sunday.  Corey did not quite accomplish this goal.  I think by now, he has listened to all that he missed, but October was extremely busy for him and he litereally did not have a free moment (between soccer, tennis, YM, piano, and lots of homework). 

Anyways, the time came to reward Eric and Jared for accomplishing their goal.  They both decided that rather than a treat, they would like to go to Walmart and pick out a small toy.  We did this and they both got small legos.  Eric kept lobbying that he should get triple to reward since he listened to everything.  I was glad he did it, but I told him, much to his dismay, that the reward would be the same.  I was so happy that they grabbed a hold of this challenge and just went for it.  Now Corey may not have completed the challenge on time, but he did something else that really impressed me.  As we were watching conference on Sunday, he took notes on his IPOD touch – because he thinks that is cool to do.  At the end of the session on Sunday, he emailed his notes to his Deacon’s Quorum and he also emailed them to a non-member friend.  I did not prompt or ask him to do this.  I love that Corey is not afraid to talk about the gospel to those around him.  I hope he always keeps that same desire to share what he knows is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment