Family home evening was awesome again last night. I just have to celebrate every success we have because those are the moments that get me through.
Often we use the "For the Strength of the Youth" as a basis for our lessons. Last night, we spoke about repentance. Both Corey and Eric had had lessons on Repentance at church just the day before.
I asked Eric about repentance. He went on and on and gave me this great explanation. He then listed out the 4 steps that he had learned about repentance. Corey then whipped out his IPOD and looked up his lesson and spouted off the 5 (more detailed) steps of repentance.
We then spoke of why it is necessary, what you should repent of, and we gave examples from the scriptures. The boys were really engaged and asked lots of questions. I love it when we feel like we really have a good discussion where the kids are talking and asking questions and we are having discussions, instead of lectures.
Jake started out the lesson by giving everyone a gummy bear and telling them that if they sat quietly, they would continue to get gummy bears. That worked well for Nate and Reagan, and everyone else for that matter. I think everyone only got 5 gummy bears, but it kept them quiet and engaged the whole time. I called it "bribery," but Jake corrected me and called it "rewarding the kids for good behavior." Well, it does sound a lot better.
No comments:
Post a Comment