Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Soccer Success

So last Saturday, March 5th, we had our first soccer games of the season.  Luckily, Corey's soccer game was cancelled because the other team was playing in a tournament.  This was great because Corey was able to participate in the youth fundraiser for the whole day.  Every year the youth in our ward aerate and power rake lawns for their fundraiser.  This helps fund camps and trips for the youth.  Every single youth was there to participate.  I think they have a lot of fun, along with performing a great service. 

Anyways, back to soccer.  Eric and Jared had games at around the same time, so I got a friend to take Jared to his game so that I could focus on Eric.  I am kind of afraid to leave Eric at a game on his own because his behavior can be questionable sometimes.  So I prepped Eric before the game.  Last season, there were times when he really was not giving it his all.  He now plays on a club team and he really needs to dedicate himself.  The funny thing is that I put him on the club team because he was always complaining about how he and one other boy were the only good players on his AYSO team.  Eric is really good at soccer, but his focus is not always there.  So before the game I told him that I would give him 5 beads if he participated the whole time and if he was always trying and if he was a good sport.  Also, I told him that I would give him a bead for each goal that he scored as a little extra incentive.  Eric had a great game and was really working hard.  He scored 2 of his team's 5 goals and so he earned a total of 7 beads for his soccer game.  I did tell him that he could work on being a little better on the sideline.  The kids sit on the opposite side and so I cannot talk to him during this time.  Eric was busy acting like a bull and running in to his teammate on the sideline.  I could see that he was annoying this boy just a little bit.  But I still felt like Eric did a great job.

Also, what made this a great soccer game is the fact that Nate and Reagan were awesome!  I always bring snacks to these things and a couple of toys, but sometimes the kids fight over the toys or they just are not interested.  However, on this day I brought some puzzles and coloring books.  Reagan did one puzzle over and over again.  It is a puzzle that is too difficult for her, so I would help and then she would figure out the rest.  I could not believe it that she did this one puzzle for about one hour straight.  Nate colored the whole time and just sat by us enjoying the sun.  I even had a few other kids join us on the blanket.  I told Jake at home that the game was a success because there was no crying and screaming and I actually got to watch the game and cheer Eric on.  Maybe we will be on a streak this year.  Of course, we have a ton of soccer games to go, so the novelty may wear off a bit.  This week we are juggling 3 games and giving rides to friends, so I hope the younger kids are as well behaved as they were last week.   Dare to dream should be my motto.  Wish us luck this next week, I am sure that we will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment