Thursday, May 7, 2015

Girl Drama

So today I discovered that I am in a little over my head in the world of girl drama.  Reagan will turn 7 this year, and she is definitely a bit more emotional than the boys, but I have not had much trouble dealing with the little things that come about day to day.  But today I was thrown for a loop.

Many days we stay after school and Reagan plays with her friend Anyi, and Nathan tries to find someone to play with.  Anyi and Reagan are great friends and seem to get along really well.  Today they played for about 30 minutes and then they both came over in tears.  Anyi said that Reagan was being mean and Reagan said that Anyi told her that Jenny was a better friend and that she did not want to be friends with Reagan.  Clearly, the two little girls were not on the same page.  They both just continued getting mad and blaming the other while they both sat of their mom's laps.  Finally, I told Reagan that she was too tired and emotional and that we needed to go home and start fresh tomorrow.

All the way to the car, she kept telling me that Anyi would not be her friend anymore and that she would never play with her again.  I kept trying to keep her calm and I tried to tell her that they had both been mean to each other and they both would think more clearly about it after a little time apart.

When I brought it up again at the dinner table, I wanted Reagan to understand that even if she thought someone was being mean, she can always choose to be nice.  It is her choice and no one can force her to be angry with someone else.  I noticed she was getting teary eyed and that she was just sad about the thought of losing her friend.  I tried to assure her that tomorrow is a new day and she could apologize, even if she thought she was not wrong, and that things would indeed work out.

A little later, I received a text from Ji, Anyi's mom.  She sent a little note to Reagan from Anyi apologizing and hoping that Reagan felt better tomorrow so they could play again.  Reagan wrote a little note back apologizing as well and telling Anyi that she did not want to fight anymore.

Wow!  Just writing this down is tiring me out and I did not even get all of it down.  I am a person who grew up with 3 older brothers.  I had a lot of friends in high school, and a lot of them were guys.  I think a lot of the reason for that is because I wanted to avoid the drama that comes along with girls.  I am hoping and praying that I can help Reagan along the way to be a confident, loving, and kind individual who cares more about people than being right.  I also hope that she will pick good friends along the way that lift her up.

I came home and told Jared what happened and I alluded to the fact that this kind of thing just does not happen with boys and how thankful I am for that.  He gave me a knowing look and nodded his head in agreement.

Hopefully, Reagan and I can handle and avoid (if possible) the crazy emotional baggage that comes along with girls.

How can there be any drama with all that cuteness!

1 comment:

  1. I only had one sister, who seemed to suffer greatly with only brothers.
    I always got along great with my girl cousins in Arizona UNTIL they got close to the teenage years.
    I and my brother George were sleeping over in one of the boy-cousin's bedrooms and their oldest sister came home late from a date, entering the bedroom she shared with her sister a couple years younger than she. I can never forget the HOWLING and SCREAMING these faithful Mormon girls engaged in; it sounded like they would kill each other. I soon learned these girl-girl interactions were properly called 'CatFights'.....

    ReplyDelete