I have bee thinking a lot lately about how blessed I am as a mother to have such wonderful children. Now, notice, I did not say “perfect” children, but I did say “wonderful children.” There are definitely days when I am not sure how to reach them and teach them, but the good still definitely outweighs those times of struggling. Each of my children has special and very different gifts.
Corey is a born leader. He is starting to come out of his shell more and more and he strives to do his best at school and with his church calling.
Jared loves to laugh at silly things and is an optimistic boy who looks at the good and the goofy.
Eric is a genius. With that genius comes some interesting issues, but Eric, one on one, is so much fun to be around. He is also my boy who will just come up and to me sometimes and say that he needs some “mommy time.”
Nathan is a peacemaker and a giver. He always wants to make sure that everyone is happy.
Reagan is so expressive and so opinionated. I am hoping that those strong opinions pay off someday.
I have to say that lately I have been learning a lot from my peacemaker and service oriented child. That would be my Nathan. I wanted to share a few of the priceless lessons that Nathan has taught me. Yesterday, Nathan was trying hard to do enough work to earn a turn on my ipod. He had practiced piano (something he asked to do for the first time the night before), he had eaten breakfast, he had finished all of his school work the day before. He had helped on a couple of small chores. Jake then talked to him and they figured out that Nathan would learn how to mop the floor in the kitchen and that would be his big job. Jake trained him for quite a while. Then Nathan finished the kitchen, continued to the den, the back hall, and the bathroom (lesson #1 - Do more than is required). He did all of this work of his own accord and with a big smile on his face (lesson #2 – Smile and have a good attitude). Then I was thinking back to the countless times when Nathan has either given up saying the prayer or moved to another seat at the kitchen table, all to make his little sister happy. Reagan wants to say every single blessing on the food, and Nate always tries to make her happy. Also, Nate has moved quite a few times at the table in order to make one of his siblings happy (lesson #3 – think of other’s first).
Wow, look at all that I have learned from this awesome 5-year old. The greatest wish that I have for this boy is that he never loses his sweet, generous, giving spirit. It truly makes him unique and a joy to have around. I am hoping that his example will rub off on the rest of us (maybe even his mom and dad).
| Did I mention that he has great fashion sense as well. |
No comments:
Post a Comment