Sometimes I really wonder how we are going to bring this little girl up without her being completely spoiled by her brothers. Now, you might think that Jake and I would be the problem, but really it is our boys. Just today I saw another example of this in our home. Nathan and I are wrapping up the last few lessons in our reading book (in fact, he now only has two lessons left). Nate asked me if we could do the reading book and we went to my room to work on it. Reagan followed and usually she wants to go first, but we had already had her turn on the reading book, so I thought she might just sit there and be good. Let’s just say that she was not good. It was amazing the Nate could read with all of the racket going on. After we finished, Nate asked if he could have a few skittles. I grabbed some for him and told Reagan that she would not be getting any skittles because of her bad behavoir. I then grabbed a few more to give to Eric who had done a great job on his piano and homework. Reagan was crying and complaining, but she understood that she was not getting a treat from me. Then Nate, grabs 3 of his 7 skittles and gives them to her. Next, Eric grabs 4 of his 7 skittles and gives them to Reagan. What to do now? I want Reagan to learn that bad behavoir does not equal rewards, but I am also touched by her brothers being so willing to share so much of what they had with her. So ultimately Reagan was the big winner. She got 7 skittles, Nate got 4 and Eric got 3. So how is that fair?
I just let this one go because I want to reinforce that great desire to share. I just need to figure out how to make sure that Reagan understands there are sometimes some negative consequences for her actions. I think this will be a long undertaking.

No comments:
Post a Comment